Legal news for Massachusetts’s personal injury attorneys. Toxic fumes from recycling facility causes respiratory problems in dozens of people.
Massachusetts personal injury attorney’s alert- A gas leak at recycling facility releases noxious fumes causing respiratory problems.
Boston, MA—A toxic and hazardous chemical leak at the ABC Disposal Service Inc. recycling facility has sent dozens of people to local hospitals and has listed two people in critical condition. The noxious fumes leaked throughout the facility on Monday, August 3, 2009 at 10:25 a.m., as reported by Boston.com.
Officials with the New Bedford Fire Department stated a gas leak in the recycling facility of the ABC Disposal Service Inc. has caused nausea, shortness of breath, and vomiting in 53 people. Two workers of the disposal company are reportedly in critical condition from exposure to the toxic fumes. Eleven people were reportedly transported by emergency medical service (EMS) crews to an area hospital for treatment of gas-related respiratory illnesses. Twenty-seven other victims were bused to St. Luke’s Hospital where officials have set up a decontamination tent. In addition, 17 people were bused to Carlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River for treatment. An unknown chemical release in the recycling facility, which crushes scrap metal, is believed to have caused the noxious gas. Hazmat teams with more than 40 team members are currently trying to determine if the process of recycling and crushing the scrap metal created the fumes.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Massachusetts’s personal injury lawyers.