08/26/2010 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
Polk County, GA—A ammonia leak at Tip Top Poultry sent 28 employees to area hospitals on Wednesday, August 25, 2010. The leak, which only lasted about 30 seconds, occurred around 7:30 a.m., in Rockmart, as reported by Rome News-Tribune.
Officials reported a faulty seal in a valve caused the leak, resulting in 240 employees being evacuated.
Fourteen people we transported to Redmond Regional Medical Center for treatment, while nine others were taken to Polk Medical Center. The victims suffered from difficult breathing, itchy eyes and a burning sensation.
Tip Top COO Brad Respess said, “People were given fluids and some breathing treatments and then being released.”
Ammonia is reportedly used at the plant to keep processed chickens and the plant cool.
Officials with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) will be investigating the ammonia leak.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Georgia workplace accident lawyers.