10/19/2010 // West Palm Beach, FL, US // Sandra Quinlan // Sandra Quinlan
Harrisburg, PA—Five people, including four young children, were killed in an unfortunate residential fire Monday evening, October 18, 2010. The blaze broke out in a home along the 600 block of Forest Street in Harrisburg, as reported by WGAL.com.
Just as Cornelia Brooks, 49, and Amanda Franklin were giving four kids a bath before 8 p.m. Monday, they began to smell smoke. Franklin apparently went downstairs, only to find the kitchen engulfed in smoke. She then opened the back door and saw the flames.
While Franklin alleged she tried to back inside to help the others, her neighbors would not allow her to do so. “I just wish I could have run back in there and got them. I lost my babies and my sister,” she said.
According to the firefighters from the Harrisburg Fire Department, a potentially defective space heater might be to blame for the deadly inferno. However, a full investigation will be required to confirm such suspicions.
Brooks, along with 2-year-old Derrion Terry, 3-year-old DeAndre Terry, 4-year-old Kelli Franklin and 4-year-old Tysheen Terry, sadly died in the fire. Smoke inhalation and severe burns allegedly contributed to their deaths.
Harrisburg firefighters contended they did not hear any smoke detectors in the house. They also noted that several windows in the home were bolted shut as a means of preventing break-ins.
The Harrisburg Fire Department is expected to conduct a full probe into the deadly Pennsylvania home fire.
Legal News Reporter: Sandra Quinlan- Legal News for Pennsylvania Personal Injury Lawyers.
Phone: (866) 598-1315
Url: Sandra Quinlan: West Palm Beach Injury News