01/04/2012 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
Chesterfield County, VA — An allergic reaction at a Chesterfield County elementary school led to the death of a 7-year-old student, who came into contact with a peanut product. Emergency crews responded to Hopkins Elementary on Monday, January 2, 2012, around 2:30 p.m., reported WTVR.com.
Chesterfield police reported Ammaria Johnson was in cardiac arrest when medical teams arrived at the school. Johnson was rushed to CJW Medical Center where she was pronounced dead not long after arriving.
Ammaria’s mother, Laura Pendleton, is now questioning how her daughter came into contact with the peanut product and why the school did not have an allergy action plan.
Pendleton told WTVR that she tried to give the school clinical aid an Epi-pen for emergencies, but instead was turned away and told to keep it at home.
But according to the Chesterfield County School allergy policy, parents should “provide the school with all daily and emergency medications prescribed by the student’s health-care provider, following school system medication administration policies. Keep medications up to date.”
Investigations into the death are underway.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Virginia wrongful death lawyers.
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News